Internationalism in a Eurosceptic Europe
Fabian Society HQ and Google Hangout | Monday 7th July 6:30pm
In the UK, austerity and growing Euroscepticism have been threatening an internationalist perspective on politics and policy making. The trend is similar across Europe, as witnessed in the European elections, posing an increasing challenge for centre-left parties.
Join us for an interactive debate with representatives from our EU sister parties to explore how they have been dealing with the growing tide of public hostility towards international and foreign affairs issues and what lessons we can learn from their experiences.
We are delighted to have:
- Pierre Kanuty – Europe & International Officer & Diplomatic Advisor to the General Secretary of the Parti Socialiste (France)
- Mattia Guidi - Post-doctoral Fellow at the Department of Political Science of LUISS Guido Carli, Rome & contributor to Policy Network (Italy)
- Samuli Sinisalo, assistant to MP Jutta Urpilainen, Finnish SDP (former Deputy Prime Minister/Minister for Finance/chairman of the SDP
And more speakers to be confirmed
They will be discussing:
- What domestic and international issues define and characterise the political landscape in other European countries?
- How politicians and policy makers have been dealing with international and foreign affairs issues in the face of an increasingly hostile public?
- How do we make internationalism relevant to voters again? What strategies have your party / organisation used to create greater consistency between our domestic and international agendas?
This will be followed by a Q&A.
Details of how to connect to the event will be circulated to RSVP and on the website. Online access to the event will be circulated via a link 20 minutes before the event. We will be taking questions from online participants using the twitter hashtag #yfideas.
For more information about the event contact Jessica Toale (07966965959 / @jjtoale)
61 Petty France
London SW1H 9EU
Google map and directions