Fabian Society are recruiting a Media and Communications Manager
The Fabian Society have an exciting opportunity, as they are recruiting media and communications manager. Further information about the post is below:
Salary: £22,500 – £27,500 (plus 7% pension contribution)
Hours: Mon – Fri, 10am – 6pm
About the Post
The Fabian Society is seeking a Media and Communications Manager to co-ordinate our communications strategy, promote the society and our activities in the media and develop our digital content. Reporting to the Editorial Director, and working across the whole organisation, the role will have particular responsibility for: planning and co-ordinating future communications; developing and executing media strategies to raise the profile of the Society and our projects; editing the Society’s website, blog, digital bulletins and social media outputs; and leading the production of digital graphics and online reports.
Media and Communications Manager
To plan, co-ordinate and execute media strategies to raise the profile of the Society and deliver influence and impact for our projects.
To develop the organisation’s media relations, including building relationships with key media contacts and supporting and co-ordinating colleagues to do the same; writing and issuing press releases; maintaining accurate information on key media contacts, and being the first port of call for all inbound media inquiries.
To oversee and produce regular media monitoring updates for the Society.
To have lead editorial responsibility for the Fabian Society’s digital presence, including website, blog, social media platforms, digital graphics, e-bulletins for Fabian members and stakeholders; commissioning content from external authors, Fabian members and staff.
To work with colleagues on the future development of the society’s digital communications, in particular our website and e-bulletins
To ensure the timely publication of Fabian online research reports. Editing copy, liaising with authors, managing the project pipeline [and using InDesign desktop publishing software to design and layout reports - DESIRABLE].
To help to shape an external relations strategy – with particular reference to political and
media audiences – and plan and co-ordinate future communications and external activity across the whole society.
To contribute to the intellectual and organisational development of the Society and to contribute directly to Fabian outputs where appropriate.
To represent the Fabian Society and the editorial team publicly, where appropriate.
To undertake other duties where required by the General Secretary and the Editorial Director.
The ideal candidate would:
1. Have a strong knowledge and understanding of politics and current public policy issues, the ability to think creatively about current and future political issues, and experience of working in a similar environment.
2. Have a good awareness of the political media, including key websites, blogs, publications, broadcasters and programmes, and experience of media work.
3. Be able to liaise with key journalists and bloggers, as well as potential writers and contributors,
including leading politicians and public figures.
4. Have a strong understanding of digital communications and evolving trends in website design and social media.
5. Have excellent written English skills and aptitude for editing, copy editing, proof reading, with strong attention to detail.
6. Have experience of the technical elements of website management, including the ability to use content management systems such as Wordpress, and liaise with website developers.
7. Be creative, able to think visually [and ideally have prior experience of hands-on desktop publishing and design software, such as InDesign, Photoshop or Illustrator - DESIRABLE].
8. Have experience of taking responsibility for projects from inception to completion and an ability to plan their own work, including the ability to multi-task effectively across a range of projects and to hit deadlines.
9. Be an effective communicator, able to work well both in a small team and independently.
10. Demonstrate creative awareness of how to reach additional audiences and markets for Fabian publications.
11. Have a high degree of competence in a variety of Windows applications and strong IT skills.
12. Be in sympathy with the aims and values of the Fabian Society.
The salary for this position is £22,500 to £27,500 plus 7% pension contribution and 6 weeks paid leave. We work a 35-hour week with contracted hours from 10.00am to 6.00pm.
The Society has an equal opportunities policy and aspires to be an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from people under-represented in politics and at the Fabian Society, including women, disabled people, and people from low-income or ethnic minority backgrounds.
Please note that the Society has the primary right to the professional services of its staff. No outside activities affecting or concerning the Society may be undertaken without the explicit agreement of the General Secretary.
The post is based at the Society’s offices in Westminster, central London. These are non-smoking.
Applicants should email to the address below a CV and a covering letter. The letter must set out: (1) how their skills and experience meet the person specification for the post; (2) why they want to
work for the society and any other reasons for applying.
Your application should arrive no later than 5pm on Thursday 4th of February 2016
We plan to hold interviews between 15th and 19 February 2016. Please indicate any times you are not available for interview between these dates when you apply.
Please apply by email with the subject line ‘Recruitment: Media and Communications Manager’
Tel: 020 7227 4903