Apply - Young Fabian Defence and Security Review
This Spring, the Young Fabians are launching a new project on defence and security policy. Read on for details of how to apply.
From Daesh to Ukraine, a resurgent Russia to emerging threats such as cyberterrorism, Britain faces a broader range of security risks than at any time since the Cold War.
Running from May to September in parallel with the Labour Party’s own Defence Review, this project will consist of a series of expert speaker events, field trips and discussions.
The Young Fabian Review will investigate what a credible, affordable and ethical defence policy might look like for the Left, working towards a final Report to be published later this year.
How to take part
The project will kick off with a launch event on the 11thof May (more details soon). As capacity allows, events and activities throughout the project will be open to all members.
However, applications are now open for a 12-person 'core group', which will write the final report and organise events and activities across the UK.
To apply for a place on the core group-
- A short essay (between 700-1000 words) answering the following question:
To what extent is the concept of ‘national security’ relevant to Britain in 2016?
- A list of any practical skills or experience you can bring to the group.
The deadline for applications is Monday 2nd of May - please send to email@example.com
- The core group will be gender balanced, with six men, and six women.
- Additionally, six of the places on the group will be allocated on the basis of research and written skills, with the remaining six allocated on the basis of a proven interest in or knowledge of the subject.
- If, for accessibility reasons you need to apply via an alternative method, please get in touch
- Applications from members based outside of London are particularly encouraged
If that looks like a big ask – then it is! We’re looking for people able to commit considerable time and effort, to run some great events, and who are capable of producing a high-quality final report that is rigorous, controversial and influential.
So whether you’d like to apply for the core group or to take part as a YF member, looking forward to having you involved.