The Young Fabians exists to provide an inclusive and open place for us to discuss, develop and debate ideas. At its February 2016 meeting, the YF Executive Committee agreed to adopt the following rules, which apply to all of our events and activities:
- YF events will not host all male panels. If there are two speakers, one must be a woman.
- Derogatory comments and actions relating to an individual's protected characteristics* will not be tolerated. YF has a zero tolerance policy with regard to
sexual, physical or verbal harassment.**
- The event chair or any member of the exec present will have the authority to remove any member from an event who breaches the above or causes insult to another on the grounds of discrimination outlined above
- Active attempts will be made by all exec members, and especially the event host, to increase gender parity at all YF events
- The event chair and exec members present have a responsibility to ensure individuals do not block a member's contribution to discussion or debate through interrupting, silencing, heckling or over-talking them.
- Members will be made aware of the complaints procedure and the safe space policy in the interests of transparency. This includes the safe space policy being highlighted at the beginning of event.
*age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex.
**With regards to antisemitism, discriminatory comments are understood to be statements that fall under the full IHRA definition of antisemitism, including all its examples.
With regards to Islamophobia, the Runnymede Trust definition (below) shall be used.
Short definition: “Islamophobia is anti-Muslim racism.
Longer definition: “Islamophobia is any distinction, exclusion or restriction towards, or preference against, Muslims (or those perceived to be Muslims) that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of