Join The Young Fabians Education Network and Shadow Skills Minister John Woodcock MP on their inaugural event: ‘Beyond Three Million – A Successful Apprenticeships System for the UK.’
All of the major political parties have recognised the important role that apprenticeships will play in helping to drive the UK out of recession, narrow skills shortages, improve social mobility and reduce youth unemployment.
The new Conservative Government has pledged to create three million apprenticeships by 2020, funded by restrictions in JSA and housing benefit. Big questions remain however on how we can develop the apprenticeship system we need, and that is an attractive alternative to higher education.
- How do we encourage more businesses to offer more high quality apprenticeships, given how oversubscribed many current apprenticeship schemes are?
- Getting beyond the numbers: how do we ensure that apprenticeships offer progression routes into good jobs?
- What can we learn from successful vocational systems overseas?
- Shadow Skills Minister John Woodcock MP
- Tom Bewick, Managing Director at New Work Training Ltd
Mike Thompson, Head of Early Careers at Barclays Bank
Ashley McCaul, Chief Executive at Skills for Growth
Join us for some lively member-led debate!
Speakers will be followed by Q&A from and discussions with the audience. the event will be held on Wednesday 15th July 18.30 – 20.00 in Committee Room 10, House of Commons.
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA
Google map and directions